The station began its broadcasting operation as KDUB-TV, founded by the late television pioneer W.D. "Dub" Rogers, Jr, putting the station on the air for the very first time on November 13, 1952. It was the first commercially licensed television station in a medium to small-sized market. Over the next few years, Rogers signed on KPAR-TV in Abilene (now KTXS-TV), KEDY-TV in Big Spring (now KCWO-TV) and KVER-TV in Clovis, New Mexico (now KVIH-TV, a satellite of KVII-TV in Amarillo). These stations made up the West Texas Television Network, the first regional television network in the United States.