About KFDA10KFDA-TV first signed on the air on October 20, 1952, becoming the first television station in Amarillo and the Texas Panhandle. It was originally a primary CBS affiliate, but also carried programming from NBC, ABC, and the now-defunct DuMont Television Network. The station was owned by the Amarillo Broadcasting Company, a consortium led by radio station owners Wendell Mayes and C. C. Woodson, as well as Charles B. Jordan and Gene L. Cagle of the Texas State Network. KFDA-TV's call letters were derived from its sister radio station, KFDA (1440 AM).
Throughout its history, KFDA-TV has been known for its strong commitment to local programming, including news, sports, and community events. The station has won numerous awards for its news coverage and has a long history of producing high-quality local programming. In addition to its main studio in Amarillo, KFDA-TV operates a bureau in Pampa, Texas, which serves the eastern portion of the station's viewing area.