About FOX 4 TexasKRLD-TV signed on the air on September 29, 1949 as the first television station in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It was originally a CBS affiliate, but also carried programming from NBC, ABC, and the DuMont Television Network. The station was located at the Times Herald Printing Co. building at 808 Young Street in downtown Dallas. It originally transmitted its signal from a tower located atop the building.
In the early 1950s, the station was briefly affiliated with the NTA Film Network. In 1955, the Times Herald sold KRLD-TV to the Belo Corporation, which also owned The Dallas Morning News. The station's call letters were changed to KDFW-TV to match its new sister radio station KDFW (970 AM, now KTCK). It moved its studios to a new facility in Oak Cliff in 1959. KDFW has been a Fox affiliate since July 1, 1995, when Fox Television Stations bought the station from Belo Corporation.