About WSOC TV9The station debuted on April 28, 1957, as Charlotte's third television station, following WBTV (channel 3) and WAYS-TV (channel 36, which ran from 1954 to 1955); it was also Charlotte's second VHF station. After WBTV, WSOC-TV is Charlotte's second-oldest continually running station. It ran from a makeshift facility on Plaza Road Extension in what was once a rural area of eastern Mecklenburg County.
Carolina Broadcasting once owned WSOC, which was run by the Jones family, along with WSOC radio (1240 AM, now WYFQ on 930 AM) and WSOC-FM 103.7. WSOC was Charlotte's second radio station to go on the air, debuting in 1929, seven years after WBT (1110 AM). Channel 9 was previously a major NBC affiliate with a secondary affiliation with ABC, sharing the network with WBTV. In 1959, Cox Enterprises purchased WSOC-AM-FM-TV from its predecessor, Miami Valley Broadcasting Company. It dedicated its modern studios on North Tryon Street the following year.