About KRCG 13The Jefferson City News Tribune owned the station, which debuted on February 13, 1955. Betty Goshorn Weldon, the paper's publisher, named the station after her late father, Robert C. Goshorn, who had long sought to bring a television station to the region. Ms. Weldon inherited the publication and his goal after his death in 1953. As a result, she was among the first women to own and run a television station.
KRCG has always been a CBS affiliate, however it used to share some ABC programs with KOMU-TV (channel 8) until 1971, when KCBJ-TV (channel 17, now KMIZ-TV) joined. It is the only station in Mid-Missouri whose allegiance has never changed. Both KOMU and KMIZ have swapped networks twice (first in 1982, then reverting to their original networks in 1986). The station was also temporarily linked with the NTA Film Network in the late 1950s.