About KOLRThe station first signed on the air on March 14, 1953 as KTTS-TV; it was founded by the Independent Broadcasting Company, owners of KTTS radio (1400 AM, now KSGF on AM 1260, and 94.7 FM). Channel 10 originally operated from studio facilities located downtown, on the southwest corner of Walnut and Jefferson Streets in the Springfield Chamber of Commerce building. The station has been a CBS affiliate since its sign-on; however, it also carried a secondary affiliation with ABC, which was shared with primary NBC affiliate KYTV (channel 3) until KMTC (channel 27, now KOZL-TV) signed on in 1968.
The station changed its call letters to KOLR in 1971. At 2,000 feet (610 m) high, the station's transmission tower is the second tallest in the United States, only 19.2 meters (63 ft) lower than the highest. The radio stations were sold to Wichita, Kansas-based Great Empire Broadcasting in 1972.