WKZO-TV first went on the air on June 1, 1950. (the call letters standing for "KalamaZoO"). It was owned by broadcasting pioneer John Fetzer, who also controlled WKZO radio, and was West Michigan's second television station to premiere after WLAV-TV (channel 7, now WOOD-TV channel 8). It broadcast shows from all four networks at the time: CBS, NBC, ABC, and DuMont. However, due to its radio sister's long-standing association with the CBS Radio Network, it has always been a key CBS affiliate.