About KPLC 7KPLC-TV first broadcast on September 29, 1954. T.B. Lanford of Shreveport, Louisiana, had already signed on with KPLC radio (1470 AM, now KLCL, and 99.5 FM, now KNGT) and was anxious to expand into television, giving the new station the same call letters as its radio sisters.
The station benefited greatly from a flaw in the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) station allocation process. There were twelve VHF channels and 69 UHF channels accessible in the early days of broadcast television (later reduced to 55 in 1983). The VHF frequencies were preferred because they conveyed data over larger distances. Because there were only twelve VHF channels available, the stations could not be placed too close together.