The station first broadcast on June 3, 1955. Camellia Broadcasting owned it at the time, along with KLFY radio (AM 1420, now KPEL), and it was meant to share channel 10 with KVOL-TV, which was owned by Morgan Murphy Stations at the time, along with KVOL, KVOL-FM (96.1, off-air and transferred to Lake Charles by 1976), and The Daily Advertiser. Prior to the station's inauguration, however, KVOL's owners opted to hand over the channel's management to Camellia Broadcasting; Morgan Murphy afterwards registered an interest to transmit on channel 3, but this was disallowed. Its initial studio space was on Jefferson Street in downtown Lafayette. It has always been a CBS affiliate, however it did carry some ABC programs until 1962, when KATC signed on. The station was also temporarily linked with the NTA Film Network in the late 1950s. Camellia Broadcasting sold KLFY to Texoma Broadcasters in 1965. Texoma Broadcasters operated Waco, TX station KWTX and was partially owned by Lyndon B. Johnson and industrialist Milford N. "Buddy" Bostick. The station is presently based on Eraste Landry Road on the city's south side, in newer, larger purpose-built studio facilities. KLFY was the first station in Lafayette and one of the first in Louisiana to broadcast in stereo, beginning in mid-1986.