About WKYTOn September 30, 1957, WKYT went on as WKXP-TV, owned by Community Broadcast Partners, a local organization led by Frederic Gregg, Charles Wright, and Harry Feingold. It was a major CBS affiliate, with WLEX-TV sharing ABC.
Community Broadcast Partners joined with what became Taft Broadcasting after only one year. The new owners changed the call letters to WKYT-TV. Taft also changed the station's principal allegiance to ABC, demoting CBS to a secondary position. This was an uncommon setup for a two-station market, especially one as tiny as Lexington. In most two-station areas, ABC was demoted to secondary status on one or both of the existing stations since it was the smallest and weakest network. However, ABC president Leonard Goldenson had known the Taft family for many years, and it is possible that the Tafts intended to align their new acquisition with the majority of their other stations (including company flagship WKRC-TV in Cincinnati).