KBOI-TV signed on November 26, 1953 as the Treasure Valley's second television station, after NBC affiliate KIDO-TV, channel 7 (now KTVB). It aired an analog signal on VHF channel 2, and was owned by Boise Valley Broadcasters along with KBOI radio (670 AM and 97.9 FM, now KQFC). It has always been a primary CBS outlet, but initially shared secondary ABC and DuMont affiliations with KIDO. KBOI lost the latter network after it shut down in 1955 and ABC with the launch of Nampa's KITC, channel 6 (now KIVI-TV) in 1974. The following year, after KBOI radio was sold off to a separate entity, the television station modified its call letters slightly to KBCI-TV on February 1, 1975. At that time, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations required separately-owned TV and radio stations in the same market to have distinct base call signs, hence the change.